Most recently completed:
- Collaborated with county parks maintenance and the trail crew to add 20 new trail signs, to make it easier for new visitors to find their way on our 4.5 miles of trails. We’re 95% complete, with only a few small Woodrat signs that need some maintenance.
- Providing funding to upgrade the look and feel and content of the educational exhibits in the Visitor Center.
- Collaborated with county parks maintenance to plant 9 apple trees and supporting infrastructure, in the orchard just north of the visitor center.
- An impressive Garden Design Plan was donated. Friends purchased the plantings and materials, and participated in implementing the new plantings, borders, ground cover, etc. Recently added more plants, including deer-proof pots around the walkway.
- Purchased split rail fencing material for the trail crew for use on the Discovery trail.
- Worked with Granite Rock to install large rock barriers on Quail Hollow road trailhead to discourage off-road vehicles from entering park trails. Currently working with Park Department to get new signage preventing motorized vehicles on trails
- Sponsored Americorps teams to remove extensive old barbed wire from trails and construct new wooden fence along Quail Hollow Road perimeter and at the far southern end of the Discovery trail.
- Provided and hand tools and meals for Americorps teams working on annual park maintenance and cleanup projects.
- Paid for the installation of safety hand railings at entrance to the Visitor Center.
- Purchased and installed new brochure rack in visitor center.
- Paid for building wooden notice box installed at park entrance.
- Installed a collection box in Visitor Center to encourage donations to the park.
- Sponsored building of 2 new taxidermy boxes for animal specimens in the Visitor Center.
- Volunteered At Redwood Mountain Fair to raise money for Quail Hollow. Manned table for Quail Hollow at Earth Days in Santa Cruz.
- Helped coordinate and publicize annual Granite Rock Quail Hollow Fundraiser.
- Advocated for Quail Hollow Park at County budgeting sessions.
- Supplied refreshments and helped organize annual volunteer appreciation meetings.
Planned and On-going Projects include:
- Adding shrubberies near the Visitor Center to improve the natural beauty of the garden area.
- Providing seating in the garden area.
- We’ll help sponsor learning events around maintaining the new apple trees (pruning, grafting, etc).
Watch this space for news and updates!